Tuesday, 27 November 2012

Diversity is a Pleasure

I always think how lucky we are here at SST - we have students all over the world, all of whom have a slightly different 'take' on colour, design and texture.  That means that we get to view textiles from many different cultures and areas during the course of any one week and I am always amazed by how colour choice and designs differ depending on culture, tradition, climate etc. 

A really good example is the work of Brenda Gael Smith - you can view her gallery at http://www.brendagaelsmith.com/portfolio/ .  She hails from NSW, Australia and her use of colour and design really reflects the wonderful landscape and colour of Australia. 

Do you think that your surroundings, beliefs etc are reflected in your work?  I have been looking more closely at my own recently and have started to worry about what they may say about me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment